Personal Experience About Gender Inequality (descriptive essay) by Amni Damia

 


Do you know about gender inequality? What does gender inequality in the workplace look like? Gender inequality is a form of discrimination based on gender, and both genders are not treated equally. From incidents of sexual harassment to experiences with racism, women face many challenges and negative stigma when it comes to working, including me. For this reason, I would like to share my experience of gender inequality.

Racism issues in the workplace should be taken more seriously because they often happen, especially to women of colour. I have witnessed this racist incident happen to a great friend of mine. She is a beautiful, tall, dark-skinned girl. I often see her being bullied and mocked by her colleagues because of her unique skin tone. She told me that her colleagues kept giving her the cold shoulder when she asked for help. I also heard her colleagues say bad things behind her back but I could not care less.

I also had an unpleasant moment while working at my past company. A senior co-worker has sexually harassed me. He constantly catcalled me with an inappropriate name and made indecent jokes about my body and preferences. All these things make me uncomfortable with him, and I am scared to go to work. I tried reporting these issues to my boss, expecting he would retaliate against my harasser. However, he did not believe my words because the harasser was his favourite employee. This situation became even worse to the point where I quit my job. Sexual harassment happens way too often in the workplace, and women often have to deal with this ridiculous issue.

Not only that, but women also face many barriers to promotion. Big, famous companies usually give men more promotions than women. This happens because employers underestimate women's leadership potential. Thankfully, my company provides equal opportunity for both genders to become leaders. Even my boss is a woman. My boss is such an amazing, smart and kind-hearted woman. I admire how she manages her time well and becomes the most efficient leader. I often hear my boss praised by the company owner because she has contributed many brilliant ideas.

To sum it up, gender inequality has been around for many decades and has affected us more than we thought. These issues need to be addressed more so that both genders can go to work without negative feelings such as being scared, insecure and embarrassed.


 

 

Comments